40 The Stick
45 The Carrot
setaian

If wishes were horses...

Mostly Romance. Contemporary, Paranormal, Historical and Romantic Suspense. Also a little Urban Fantasy and Mystery.

Baby Love (Kendrick-Coulter-Harringan Series #1)

Baby Love - Catherine Anderson After being violently beaten, Maggie flees from her abusive home with her baby. She hitches a ride on a freight train but things go from bad to worse when a bunch on itinerants attack her. She is rescued by Rafe, a drunk who has given up on life after losing his family in a car accident. I was hesitant to read this book. I know some men think it's OK to brutalize a woman, I've stepped in to stop it on more than one occasion, but knowing it happens doesn't mean I want to read about it. This book largely deals with the after-effects and as horrible as that is, it's a easier for me to deal with than descriptions of violence. So, back to the book. I think this was a good book which could have been a great book if Catherine Anderson chose a slightly different path. The basic synopsis is Rafe is riding the trains because of the tragedy of losing his family. When he rescues Maggie he sees her as a second chance at life. We discover he's incredibly wealthy....I mean Bill Gates wealthy and he sweeps her off her feet in something like a Cinderella story...or a frog to prince story...you get the idea. While I don't have a problem with that I do think it's a bit formulaic. It would have been interesting if he had to work a little harder to rescue her...if their escape wasn't in the family airplane but rather in a car he bought for $200. But setting that aside, it was worth reading, both satisfying and affirming.